In March 2021 Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, also known as the Duke & Duchess of Sussex had an interview with Oprah Winfrey. The interview lasted 2 hours and the couple discussed for the first time how life has been for them since they got married in May 2018 and Meghan officially joined the British royal family.
Harry’s decision to marry Meghan was not fully supported by members of the British royal family, the British press and some members of the British public because of these reasons:-
- Meghan was not born in the United Kingdom. She was born in the United States.
- Meghan is of mixed race. Her father (Thomas Markle) is white and her mother (Doria Ragland) is black.
- Meghan was previously married to American film producer Trevor Engelson in 2011 and they divorced in 2013.
In 2020 Harry & Meghan left the British royal family and moved to live “independent lives” in the United States.
Over 17 million viewers from around the world watched the interview in which Harry and Meghan gave the world a rare glimpse into the inner workings of the British royal family.
Here are some of the things which they talked about …
– Meghan said when she was pregnant with her and Harry’s son, Archie, she was told that the royal family would not give the baby the title of prince, nor would he receive personal security.
– Harry said that he had discussions with an unnamed member of the royal family, while Meghan was pregnant, about “how dark” Archie’s skin would be.
– Meghan said the Queen personally has always been “wonderful” to her. But couldn’t say the same for some senior members of the royal family.
– Meghan said she contemplated suicide while inside the royal family. Saying “I did not want to be alive anymore”.
– Harry said he saw similarities in the way Meghan was treated with the way his mother Princess Diana was treated. “I saw history repeating itself” he said.
– Harry said there was a period when his father, Prince Charles, would not return his phone calls, and he felt “really let down”.
– Harry said racism towards Meghan and a lack of support from the family played “a large part” in his decision to leave the UK with Meghan and their son Archie.
– Harry said the royal family refused them further security protection then totally cut off financial support in early 2020.
So what did the Queen say about all of this?
“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan. The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.” Queen Elizabeth said in a statement.
Interesting side note …
CBS, an American broadcasting network paid $8 million to broadcast the interview and charged advertisers $350 000 for 30 seconds of commercial advertising time during the broadcast.